How To Use A Socket Wrench
A socket wrench or ratchet allows you to turn nuts and bolts with more ease than using a regular wrench.
The ratcheting feature allows you to keep the wrench on the bolt eliminating the need to refit the wrench every time you need to make a turn.
This is ideal when working in confined spaces where movement is extremely limited.
How to use a socket wrench
- Select the right socket for the job.
- All sockets are labelled so if you know the size of nut you want to turn all you need to do is find its corresponding socket in your set.
- If you do not know the size of socket needed, test varying sizes until one fits correctly.
- Do not try and turn a bolt with a socket that is too large. Doing this could strip the bolt and make it impossible to turn.
- Attach the socket to the head of the wrench - you should hear a click when its properly in place.
- Select the direction using the flip switch to decide between loosening and tightening.
- Place the socket on the nut.
- Use it like a regular wrench except do not remove it when you run out of space
- Twist it back in the opposite direction and repeat until the bolt is fully loosened or tightened.
Check out our full range of socket wrenches.